A table saw with a collapsible table is convenient because it’s easier to move and store than its non-collapsible counterparts. However, it’s not very convenient when the table collapses unexpectedly; especially if the consumer is standing nearby. Sears, headquartered in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, is recalling about 46,000 table-saw tables because they are collapsing unexpectedly, causing injury. The saws are manufactured by Craftsman (a brand owned by Sears) and the tables are manufactured by Rexon Industrial Corporation.
Reports of injuries
Sears is recalling the tables because it has received:
- 11 reports of the table saw’s table collapsing
- 9 of the 11 reports included customer injuries
The reported injuries included:
- Injuries to fingers, hands, and shoulders
- Broken bones
- A shoulder strain
- A partial fingernail amputation
What should you do?
If you own a table saw matching that description, call Rexon’s customer service phone number at: 866-934-6360. They will tell you how to get a free replacement stand.
Here are the details of the table-saw table being recalled:
- Model Number: 137.415030
- Size: 10-inch
- Label says: “15 AMP 10-inch table saw”
Other power tool recalls
The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (USCPSC) is a federal agency which helps protect consumers from dangerous products. One way it does this is by keeping track of the products companies recall. According to the USCPSC, 42 consumer products have already been recalled in 2017. 5 of those 42 recalled products have been power tools. The other power tools that have been recalled so far this year are:
- Electric Blower
- Manufacturer: One World Technology
- Recalled: March 2, 2017
- Cause: plastic fan inside blower can break causing the fan blades to be discharged from the blower, posing a risk of laceration
- Manufacturer: STIHL
- Recalled: February 23, 2017
- Cause: fuel line can leak, posing fire and burn hazards
- Manufacturer: Calphalon
- Recalled: February 22, 2017
- Cause: the blade can break during use
- Manufacturer: Country Home Products
- Recalled: January 25, 2017
- Cause: fuel tank valve can malfunction and cause the fuel tank to expand and gasoline liquid or vapors to be unexpectedly released, posing fire and burn hazards
Check to see if anything you own has been recalled
The USCPSC makes it easy for you to know what products have been recalled. If you’re ever curious, just check out their website for a full list of all the consumer products that have been recalled in the US.