In honor of Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, the Minneapolis personal injury attorneys at GoldenbergLaw are pleased to offer some basic motorcycle safety tips that can help keep you and your passengers safe. However, even the safest motorcyclists cannot always prevent an accident. If you are injured in one of these accidents, we encourage you to call 612-436-5026 to speak with one of our attorneys and learn more about your options.
Motorcycle Safety Tips
Before your ride:
- Adjust all mirrors and check to ensure the bike is free of damage
- Check turn signals and brakes
- Put on safety gear including helmet, boots, long pants, gloves, and a leather jacket
The Department of Transportation (DOT) estimates that helmet use saves over 1,500 lives every year. While not required in Minnesota, wearing a helmet is always a good idea.
- Allow for a two vehicle gap between you and those in front of you
- Follow the speed limit and all traffic signs and signals
- Use your signals and check all mirrors before switching lanes
A leading cause of motorcycle accidents is larger vehicles failing to cede the right of way to motorcyclists. Be sure you have room to maneuver before switching lanes.
- Do not drink and drive
- Do not swerve in and out of traffic
- Do not engage in aggressive or violent driving behaviors
Again, even if you are the safest and most courteous motorcyclists, there is no way to fully protect yourself against the poor choices and negligent behavior of other motorists. If you have been the victim of an irresponsible driver, please contact GoldenbergLaw, PLLC right away to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can help you get the compensation you deserve. We welcome motorcyclists from Minneapolis and all surrounding areas of Minnesota.