Marlene joined GoldenbergLaw at the age of fourteen and has held nearly every position in the firm since that time. Today, Marlene’s practice is largely devoted to advocating for those who have been injured by defective medical devices and pharmaceutical drugs. Marlene also specializes in individual personal injury, product liability, and medical malpractice claims.
Through her work, Marlene has battled federal preemption, frequently in courts where the issue had not been previously addressed. Indeed, Marlene has briefed and argued federal preemption issues in six different states at the state, federal, and appellate levels. As a result of this advocacy, nearly all of these courts determined that plaintiffs have a viable cause of action when a manufacturer fraudulently promotes unapproved uses of a medical device.
In 2014, Marlene was selected as an “Up and Coming Attorney” by Minnesota Lawyer, and in 2015, Marlene was selected as a “Rising Star” by Minnesota Super Lawyers.
Marlene graduated from Syracuse University, magna cum laude, majoring in international relations, political philosophy, and Spanish. She then attended William Mitchell College of Law in Saint Paul, Minnesota and BPP Law School in London, earning her J.D. and her Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL).
Marlene serves as a Big Sister through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Minnesota and as a board member of Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Minneapolis’s Next Gen organization. Marlene also serves as a volunteer attorney for Children’s Law Center, where she represents and advocate for the interests of children who are placed in foster care.
In her spare time, Marlene enjoys traveling, biking, cooking, and spending time with her family and friends.
William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Minnesota
Juris doctorate- 2013
Honors: cum laude
Moot Court: Niagara International Moot Court
BPP Law School, London, United Kingdom
Graduate Diploma in Law- 2012
Moot Court: Jessup International Moot Court
Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
Bachelor of Arts in International Relations, Political Philosophy, and Spanish
Honors: magna cum laude, Student Body President
- Court Admissions:
- Minnesota, 2013
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2013
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2015
- Awards and Honors:
- Selected by Minnesota Super Lawyers- Rising Star, 2015
- Selected by Minnesota Lawyer- Up & Coming Attorney, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Plaintiff Steering Committee (PSC) In Re: Abilify Products Liability Litigation
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Minnesota Association for Justice, Member
- “What to Do with a New Drug or Device Case,” Minnesota Trial Magazine, Winter 2017
- “Taking on Infuse and Preemption,” Trial Magazine, July 2015
- “Pleading a Parallel Claim Based on Fraudulent Promotion of Off-Label Use,” American Association for Justice Speaker Paper, July 2013
- “Pleading a Parallel Claim: The Challenging Landscape of Preemption in Medical Device Cases and Possibilities for the Near Future,” American Association for Justice Infuse Bone Graft Teleseminar Speaker Paper, December 2012
Presentations and Speeches:
- Speaker, “Abilify,” Mass Tort Medical School, Orlando, Florida, March 2017
- Speaker, “Abilify and Compulsive Gambling,” American Association for Justice Mid-Winter Convention, Austin, Texas, February 2017
- Speaker, “Medical Device Preemption and Getting Around Riegel,” American Association for Justice Annual Convention, Montreal, Quebec, July 2015
- Speaker, “Speaking to Your Treating Physician and Pleading Fraud,” American Association for Justice Annual Convention, Baltimore, Maryland, July 2014
- Speaker, “Medtronic Infuse Bone Graft- Litigation Update,” American Association for Justice Education’s Plaintiff-Only Pharmaceuticals and Medical Device Litigation Update Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, January 2014
- Moderator, “A Broad View of the Medtronic Infuse Litigation and Substantive Issues Therein,” American Association for Justice Annual Convention, San Francisco, California July 2013.
If you have been injured in an accident, contact our Minnesota Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation at 612-436-5026.